Who's in the Burrow?

Bee-ing a Winner!

The final 13 today at the California Central Valley
Spelling Bee. Zabell is at far left.
Good News Flash from the Fighting Marmot front. Two weeks ago I spotlighted Sam Zabell, a triple podium threat in Nordic skiing, fiddling and spelling.


Zabell is fresh back to the SBA Campus after taking third place out of 58 students competing in the California Central Valley Spelling Bee. 


The force was with him until he had to face the following word: "incorporeity" (incidentally, Blogger spell check doesn't even recognize this word!).


"I asked for an alternate pronunciation, because sometimes it helps to hear it a different way," said Zabell. 


"Then I asked for a definition so I could see if there were any kinds of roots in there, and I also asked for the language of origin. 


"I wrote it down on my finger on the back of the placard, and then I spelled it again as I was writing it out. I switched the 'e' and the 'i' toward the end, because the pronunciation could have gone either way, and I thought it followed the 'i' before 'e' except after 'c' rule.


"I did better than I ever have, and this is my last year in this Bee."


You can show your support and leave a comment below of CONGRATULATIONS TO SAM on making SBA proud!!!!